PADI Open Water Diver Course
Get your PADI scuba certification with Oakville Divers Scuba Shop. If you’ve always wanted to learn how to scuba dive, discover new adventures or simply see the wondrous world beneath the waves, this is where it starts. The PADI Open Water Diver course is the world’s most popular scuba course, and has introduced millions of people to the adventurous diving lifestyle.
** Due to Covid-19, all facilities are currently closed indefinitely. If you are looking to start your course NOW, check out our eLearning options, which will allow you to complete all Knowledge Development in the comfort of your home and pool training once facilities reopen. **
Train with Oakville Divers
Our Oakville Divers scuba courses are designed to provide you with the best combination of diving theory and diving skills to make you a safe, confident, and comfortable SCUBA diver. As a certified PADI Open Water Diver, the most widely recognized and respected rating in the world, you have the freedom to dive with a buddy independent of a professional.
The PADI Open Water Diver course consists of three main phases:
- Knowledge Development (classroom, eLearning, Touch - Android or iOS) to understand basic principles of scuba diving
- Confined Water Dives (in pool) to learn basic scuba skills
- Open Water Dives (off our custom dive boat) to use your skills and explore!
How Long Will it Take?
Two classroom and four pool training sessions are required. Our course is held on Wednesday evenings in Oakville, and runs for 4 consecutive weeks. Week 1 & 2 (class & pool 7:00pm to 11:00pm) Week 3 & 4 (pool only - 9:15pm to 11:00pm)
(Some self study is required prior to course start date so please allow yourself adequate time before the first course session to complete the reading and Open Water diver DVD modules)
* Busy schedule? Try our eLearning or Touch (mobile) course and complete your Knowledge Development on the go.
The 4 Open Water dives are conducted over a weekend (Saturday/Sunday) throughout the Spring and Summer. (Open Water certification dives are booked separately - cost is $285 + tax and includes all rentals and certification fees)
What Will I Need?
Course Fee Includes:
- Classroom & pool training with PADI Instructors and assistants
- PADI Open Water Diver Manual
- PADI Diver's Log and Training Record
- PADI Electronic Multilevel Recreational Dive Planner (eRDP)
- Scuba equipment provided (tank, regulator, bcd, weights)
- PADI Referral Letter (for Open Water dives at a different location)
- Access to our pool practice sessions (equipment included) any Wednesday evening, all year long (advanced registration required + extra charge)
Students are responsible for providing their own mask, snorkel and fins. Oakville Divers has a large selection of snorkeling and scuba gear and can help you select the most appropriate equipment for your needs.
PADI Medical form must be completed. If you answer "YES" to any questions on the medical, please ensure you receive physicians approval prior to your start date.
Virtually anyone who is in good health, reasonably fit, and comfortable in the water can earn a PADI Open Water Diver certification. If you are between 11 and 14 or have a child between these ages, there is a PADI Junior Open Water Diver program available.
NOTE: You have 1 year to complete your Open Water dives after your class and pool training. If it has been longer than a year, you will need to complete a refresher course before you can do the open water certification dives.